Sunday, March 20, 2016

Leaving Behind a Kindred Spirit




I try to take lots of photos as I travel so I can remember and share my experience.  But there are times when I see something amazing and I'm not able to reach my camera in time.  I think I've come to cherish those moments the most.  They allow me to simply live the moment.  Many other moments or experiences can never really be caught in the lens of a camera.  There is no way to capture the experience of finding a kindred spirit within someone otherwise so different from yourself.

Elizabeth and I were walking the busy, narrow streets of old Taza with Mohamed and his family.  Everyone was helping Elizabeth shop for a djellaba but, I was doing a little exploring on my own,  As I would venture further away from the others, I noticed Mohamed's youngest daughter, Lillia, was watching me with a concerned look on her face.  Eventually, Mohamed told me she was worried that I might get lost.  The next time I walked away from the group, I turned a corner and stopped.  A few seconds later I peaked back around the corner to see Lillia's worried face.  She saw me looking back at her as we locked eyes and smiled at each other; sharing a kindred moment that was just between the two of us and could never be saved in a photograph.  Of all the amazing things we've done here in Morocco, I think that is the moment in this great adventure I will always remember.



9 comments:

  1. That is so sweet and goes back to the thinking that sentiments can be expressed even if people do not speak the same language. The nonverbal communication we give and receive speaks volumes.
    Nurse West-Expedition

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a powerful story.
    Justice/ 11th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mr. Adkins
    This is Brother Jordan Breaux from your 2nd period class.
    This adventure of yours to Morocco is a great ideal opening towards new experiences that one could have never have done before
    Decree/ 12th grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. It's true that you can capture most events with a camera, but it's important that you cherish it through your mind.

    Omarion Aponte- Justice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is Lillia the younger girl or the older one?

    Omarion Aponte

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds that you enjoyed a lot. Taking pictures and videos are the only way of capturing our memories. Thanks for sharing you experiences with us. Please Keep sharing.

    Morocco travel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Discover Morocco and the best things to do in Morocco, and make sure to do a Morocco camel trekking tour.

    ReplyDelete